Monday, October 24, 2011

the medical update

Thanks for all of the comments. I told myself that it would be enough to just get it out, to write it down. But it really does help to know that other people are reading and share in my struggles.

Knowing me, I will probably write more about the emotional side of things here, but I will also try to keep things updated with where we are medically.

So, though all of the testing, we haven't found much wrong with my system. My cycles are extremely regular and my uterus and tubes look good. I have tracked ovulation for 3 cycles now and each time there has been 1 mature follicle in my left ovary. My right ovary is really hard to find (translate - painful) and they think there was one there two this cycle. Honestly, I don't know if that's great or not, but each time the nurse practitioner says it's enough. Two cycles ago, my progesterone was low. So, this cycle I did Letrozole and an hCG shot. My progesterone test was this morning so I should hear from it this afternoon.We are just covering naturally this cycle, so I don't expect anything to happen but I will do an HPT next Monday to check.

Max has had a semen analysis several times and all of his numbers have been low at some point. The main concern has been motility. He has been on a supplement for a few months and will do another analysis this week. We did do a post-coital test at my last ultrasound and it was not good. Basically there were very few sperm and the ones that were there were barely moving.

So, the plan is to do IUI on the next cycle. CD1 should be early next week. I will be out of town for work so this week I need to do some investigation into what will happen if CD4 occurs before I get home. I will do an ultrasound and beta in New Orleans if I have to, but I'm not waiting another month to do this.

So that's the plan - IUI here we come!

Side note - my dad used to work full time selling bull semen to cattle farms for artificial insemination. In my early teens I was horrified when people asked what he did for a living. After a while it became funny to tell people and see their reactions. Who would have thought that one day I would be inseminated? ha!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your first IUI! Fingers crossed!

    Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete